Is it Possible to Exempt my Buy-To-Let Property from Capital Gains Tax?

Can I treat my buy-to-let property as my main home so it is exempt from capital gains tax?


You can only treat your buy-to-let property as your main home for capital gains tax purposes if you actually live in it for a period, so the property cannot be let out at the same time. This period can be quite short, such as a few months, but you do need to have some evidence that you lived there to show the Taxman if he should ask, such as utility bills or correspondence. If you also have another home that you plan to return to you need to make an election to state which property is your main residence.

Powered by BetterDocs

Request A Callback

Call Now