Our Tax Investigations Service is fully backed by an Insurance Policy, which we have taken out with Markel Tax.
- Fees incurred prior to the written acceptance of a claim.
- HMRC Specialist Investigations, Civil Investigations of Fraud, Criminal Investigations Sections, Fraud Investigation Service, Counter Avoidance Sections and Code of Practice 9 cases.
- Returns submitted more than 90 days after the due date.
- Notification by HMRC of any of the above prior to subscribing to the service.
- Failure to notify/register for tax or VAT.
- Compliance costs associated with routine submission of statutory returns e.g. P11D’s RTI Returns, CIS Returns etc.
- Cases of suspected fraud e.g. Code of Practice 9 cases and Public Notice 160 enquiries.
- Where there is no reasonable prospect of challenging HMRC (VAT, PAYE and IR35 Disputes).
- Costs for third party valuations.
- Tax planning arrangements where HMRC have allocated DoTAS Number and/or bespoke tax planning arrangements outside of the normal trade.
In the event a client faces investigation, we will represent you and reclaim any costs incurred in dealing with the Enquiry directly from the insurance company. The practice will be responsible and have the discretion for making claims under our Policy. Clients will be responsible for any fees that we cannot recover from our Insurers.
Employment, health and safety, and business legal advice
Business clients who subscribe to the service also have access to a 24-hour telephone helpline. More information can be found overleaf and details of how to access this service will be sent with your service confirmation.
Business and commercial legal helpline
As an additional benefit of subscribing to the service, business clients receive unlimited access to a business legal helpline. This is a 24-hour, 365 days a year telephone advice service manned by a highly experienced team of 70 barristers and solicitors. The helpline provides a wide range of companies and organisations with commercial, employment and health and safety advice.
There are many areas within a business which, if not handled correctly, can take a substantial amount of resources to resolve. The legal advisors will be at hand to provide you with details of the relevant and current legislation in respect of any guidance you may need on matters including:
- Intellectual Property
- Small claims court procedures
- Business tenancies
- Debt recovery
- Dealing with complaint letters (asserting rights)
- Dealing with statutory demands
Employment legislation can be a minefield and an incorrect decision could put your business into turmoil. Therefore, the advice line can help to ensure your business remains compliant and proper, fair procedures are followed. You can receive advice on matters including:
- Appraisal and disciplinary procedures
Health and Safety Advice
All businesses are required by law to undertake a full health and safety risk assessment of their premises and business procedures. In the event of accidents, businesses could be involved in a civil claim for compensation and there could also be criminal prosecutions resulting in fines and even imprisonment.
You may receive advice on:
- Undertaking health and safety assessment
- Correct procedures in the workplace
- Understanding new legislation