Do I need to fill in a tax return?

Article sections

    You’ll need to fill in a tax return and send if any of the following apply, in the last tax year:



    • you were self-employed – you can deduct allowable expenses
    • you got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, for example from tips or renting out a property – contact the helpline if it was less than £2,500
    • your income from savings or investments was £10,000 or more before tax
    • your income from dividends from shares was £10,000 or more before tax
    • you made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax
    • you were a company director – unless it was for a non-profit organization (such as a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car
    • your income (or your partners) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit
    • you had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on
    • you lived abroad and had a UK income
    • your taxable income was over £100,000
    • you were a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
    • you had a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year – Yet you have not charged what you owe into the tax system or willingly
    • your State Pension was more than your Personal Allowance and was your only source of income-unless you got your pension on or after April 6, 2016.



    Certain other people may need to send a return (for example ministers of religion or Lloyd’s underwriters) – you can check whether you need to. You usually won’t need to send a return if your only income is from your wages or pension.


    Call Now ButtonCall us now